now tweeting

 

Saturday 7 March 2009

Vinpearl "attractions"

I was in Nha Trang this week and was offered chances to see elephant and bear shows, ride ostriches or watch dog and monkey shows. Vietnam still likes performing animal shows. I've had conversations with people about their cruelty or being inappropriate ways to treat animals but no-one so far has responded wth anything other than some comment about the animals being cute or clever.

Caged dogs Vinpearl island

I suspect Vietnam hasn't had the luxury of being able to get all worked up about animal dignity having some bigger concerns to get sorted out.

monkey show vinpearl land

The pictures here feature animals used in a very popular show at Vinpearl Land, Nha Trang. I find them heartbreaking and avoid them. I also support Wildlife at Risk who are doing a good job in education and practical rescue and protection programmes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have visited vinpearl too and was also heartbroken to see these scenes. Unfortunately they find that manipulating animals is the easiest method to attract crowds.`

amasc said...

Alas yes, they are still there and still very popular.